Welcome to Shaver’s Creek! Whether you’re visiting our aviary, herpetarium, and indoor bird-watching station, or exploring our ponds, pollinator gardens, and LTERP reflection spots, there’s always more to discover. We have plenty of trails for hiking and bird watching, and great spots for picnicking. Whatever activities you choose, check out the following information to make the most of your trip.
Hours and Directions
Shaver’s Creek Environmental Center is closed as part of Penn State’s efforts to maintain public health and safety in the face of the COVID-19 outbreak. For questions, please contact ShaversCreek@psu.edu. For the latest updates and information, visit sites.psu.edu/virusinfo.
We are typically open seven days a week, 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., from mid-January to mid-December.
Shaver’s Creek Environmental Center is nestled in the ridge-and-valley area of central Pennsylvania, located between State College and Huntingdon, only 12 miles from Penn State’s University Park campus. Shaver’s Creek is located only a short hike or stone’s skip across Lake Perez from Penn State’s Stone Valley Recreation Area, which has cabins and boats for rent, picnic facilities, and a high ropes course.
Shaver’s Creek Environmental Center
3400 Discovery Rd
Petersburg, PA 16669
Note to Pet Owners
To protect the well-being of our resident birds, dogs are prohibited in the Klingsberg Aviary at Shaver’s Creek.
Sharing the same trail system, Shaver’s Creek follows the rules and regulations of the Stone Valley Recreation Area. In accordance to these regulations, dogs are only permitted during daytime and must be kept on a six-foot leash. Owners must clean up after pets by placing all pet waste in the appropriate receptacles. For the safety and health of your animals, Campus Recreation recommends you do not allow your animals to swim in or drink the water out of Lake Perez.
Large Group Visits (12+ people)
Self-guided group visits to our visitor center, live animals, trails, and picnic areas are very popular—so much so that we need to coordinate visits!
Groups of more than 12 people must call Shaver’s Creek in advance. We charge a $2/person admission fee for groups of this size (payable in the bookstore).
Due to our summer camps and other programming, we may not always be able to accommodate large groups, especially in our covered picnic areas. Select dates are available, but generally not during weeks when our summer camps are happening. Please keep in mind we’re a zero waste facility, so all trash must be packed out with your group! Bus parking also must be coordinated in advance.
To check availability, or if you have any questions, please contact Siara Glenny at email@example.com or 814-865-3810.
Visit Shaver’s Creek
- Prepare for Your Visit - Learn about our zero waste initiative, accessibility, group visits, and more.
- Litzinger Discovery Room - We invite you to explore our Discovery Room, situated in the heart of our nature center and packed with educational, interactive exhibits interpreting the natural world.
- Klingsberg Aviary - We care for more than 20 hawks, owls, eagles, and falcons, which are visible in their enclosures to all visitors, free of charge.
- Hiking Trails - View and download maps of the hiking trails at Shaver's Creek that wind through the surrounding 7,000 acres of woodlands, hillsides, and marshlands of Penn State's Stone Valley Experimental Forest.
- Picnic Areas - Enjoy an outdoor meal with family and friends at one of our Picnic Areas scattered around the center.
- Bookstore - The bookstore is your one-stop-shop for nature field guides and writings from popular naturalists, many of them particular to central Pennsylvania.