Welcome to Shaver’s Creek! The following information will give you an idea of what to expect from your visit to Shaver’s Creek Environmental Center, whether you’ve never been here before or you’re a frequent visitor looking to explore new territory.
Our Visitor Center is now open, but please note that you may not be able to see all of the raptors yet due to ongoing construction.
Hours and Directions
We are typically open seven days a week, 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., from mid-February to mid-December.
Admission is free!
Shaver’s Creek Environmental Center is nestled in the ridge-and-valley area of central Pennsylvania, located between State College and Huntingdon, only 12 miles from Penn State’s University Park campus. Shaver’s Creek is located only a short hike or stone’s skip across Lake Perez from Penn State’s Stone Valley Recreation Area, which has cabins and boats for rent, picnic facilities, and a high ropes course.
Shaver’s Creek Environmental Center
3400 Discovery Rd
Petersburg, PA 16669
Visit Shaver’s Creek
- Prepare for Your Visit - Learn about our zero waste initiative, accessibility, group visits, and pets.
- Litzinger Discovery Room - We invite you to explore our Discovery Room, situated in the heart of our nature center and packed with educational, interactive exhibits interpreting the natural world.
- Raptor Center - We care for more than 20 hawks, owls, eagles, and falcons, which are visible in their enclosures to all visitors, free of charge.
- Hiking Trails - View and download maps of the hiking trails at Shaver's Creek that wind through the surrounding 7,000 acres of woodlands, hillsides, and marshlands of Penn State's Stone Valley Experimental Forest.
- Picnic Areas - Enjoy an outdoor meal with family and friends at one of our Picnic Areas scattered around the center.
- Bookstore - The bookstore is your one-stop-shop for nature field guides and writings from popular naturalists, many of them particular to central Pennsylvania.