Shaver’s Creek was founded in 1976 as a resource for the community and as a field laboratory where Penn State students could get hands-on experience teaching about the natural world. The programs at our Environmental Center, Outdoor School, and Team Development Center provide a mix of educational and recreational opportunities for families, schools, corporate groups, and Penn State students.
Shaver’s Creek Environmental Center is committed to extending the University’s Outreach mission of instruction, service, and research. Through quality programs, we teach, model, and provide the knowledge, values, skills, experiences, and dedication that enable individuals and communities to achieve and maintain harmony between human activities and the natural systems that support all living species.
- Visitor Information - Planning a trip to Shaver’s Creek? Get directions, read about our resident animals, download a trail map, and more.
- School Outreach (K–12) - Shaver’s Creek school outreach programming works directly with Mifflin County School District and Juniata Valley School District to provide hands-on, inquiry-based lessons focused on science and the environment.
- Team Development Center - We prepare team-building programs for all sizes of corporate groups, student groups, and nonprofit organizations.
- The Creek Journals - Our Long-term Ecological Reflections Project seeks to engage writers, artists, and musicians to create and reflect on eight unique sites surrounding Shaver’s Creek over the course of a full century — to be woven together to tell the story of this place.
- Podcasts - Subscribe or listen to Shaver’s Creek’s two podcast series, Cast from the Creek and The Incus & Iris.
- Meet the Staff - Directory of Shaver's Creek staff, graduate assistants, and faculty.
- Our Partners - We strive to work together with the planet and with other organizations that share our commitment to maintaining harmony with nature.
- Contact Us - Contact information for all programs at Shaver's Creek Environmental Center.