Shaver’s Creek Environmental Center offers opportunities for everyone to connect with and conserve Pennsylvania’s diverse habitats and wildlife.
- Research Initiatives - Shaver’s Creek supports Penn State students engaged in research related to wildlife, plant science, and environmental education. Learn about current projects and how to apply for a graduate assistantship.
- Zero Waste Initiative - We have become a Zero Waste facility, where we reduce, reuse, recycle, and compost almost everything as we strive to eliminate material sent to the landfill.
- Appalachian Botany and Ethnobotany - The Appalachian Botany and Ethnobotany program at Shaver’s Creek (formerly Plant Science Program) has brought renewed authenticity to both our managed landscape and wild surroundings, and educates students and the public about native plantings, invasive species management, sustainable forestry, and nontimber forest products.
- Animal Care Program - The Animal Care Program functions primarily as a training facility that teaches about animal welfare, animal behavior, management of live education animals, and educational interpretation skills.
- Citizen Science Projects - Learn about our “citizen science” projects that connect volunteers and scientists to work together to answer real-world questions and gather data.
- Report an Animal that Needs Help - Contact information for reporting injured wildlife.